Thursday, November 1, 2012

On Purpose

The last few days I've been thinking of intentional living. What does it mean? How does it look? What does it entail? Is it even a possibility?

I've heard so many people say that life just happens. I watch so many people live life like it's just a series of unconnected disjointed events and like their only option is to forever react to the life that just seems to leap out at them. They are forever in clean-up mode - so busy picking up pieces at every turn that they never get around to stepping back, taking inventory and making deliberate choices to get to the sort of life that is lived not free of surprises, but full of purpose and the preparedness that comes from purposely choosing to live well.

No praying. No seeking God. No searching His word. No inviting Him in to search your heart or show you a new way. Just forever flitting from what sounds good, feels good, and looks good at the time - hoping all the while that in the end the fallout wont be too great.

But i get it. I totally get why this way of life would be more appealing on the surface. It's totally fleshly. No repsonsiblity rests with you and all the banal little cliches make it easy to discount your laziness and lack of discipline as 'just life'. Who doesn't want, at some point or another, to just throw caution to the wind and feel good for the moment? I totally get it.

I just dont think it makes much sense.

Intentional life, life full of purpose, life filled with thoughtful consideration of decisions in light of the bigger picture  - the effects long term of our choices and how other people will be impacted by the way we choose to live - it is HARD. Beyond hard. It requires a level of self-awareness, control and spiritual maturity that it takes a literal lifetime to develop.

It is not for the faint of heart.

But for the Believer, it is exactly what we are called to do and how we are calle to live. Every choice has reaching lasting lingering effects. Every thought we espouse, every word we speak, every action we take. It all impacts something or someone, and we will all be called to answer for choosing to live well or not.

Intentional life is the difference in making a good choice and making the BESTchoice. It is knowing what is alright and what is exquisite. It is knowing that even though you hae a right, that for which you have been given RESPONSIBILITY needs to prevail.

Everyone and everything has a set of rights; the clearest sign that we are seeking God and learning to live life with deliberate purpose is consistent conduct that says that we know that our rights must always take a back seat to what IS right.

Exercising our rights gives us license to act in our flesh. Walking in righteousness requires us to act in the manner becoming a co-heir with Christ.

A life that is not lived intentionally is a life that is not well-lived.

I hope that I model for those around me purposed, deliberate, calculated, thoughtfully considered life. Because I want them to live that way for me. That's where love shines and that's how I want to love, be loved.

That's how I want to be remembered. Not because I'm a nice girl. Not because I'm sweet or smart or charming or a good teacher or writer. But that I lived well and that I loved well. That my whole purpose was an intentional display of righteousness and that flaws and all, my life was a composite reflection of that desire and commitment.

Intentional living.

It is hard. But it is worth it... it is most definitely worth it....

No comments:

Post a Comment