Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Be Ye Not Conformed...

It is nothing short of amazing how God works in our lives.

Everyone has a unique place in the family. Some are conservative. Others... not so much. Some are traditional. Others... not even if you paid them.

There are just so many varied ways of worship and of relationship. So many personal nuances and quirks and idiocyncrasies (let's all hope I spelled that right) when it comes to walking out our faith.

I know, I know.Where's all this comin' from, right?

Well, one of my favorite bloggy people Muhala has begun a new journey and I'm following along to see how she does this thing. She has begun to practice covering and I find it absolutely intriguing - not in a geeky 'oooo, look at the wierd girl' sort of way, but in a very contemplative 'is this His will for all, or is this one of those personal liberties' sort of a way.

And I think that's what faith really and truly is, what we as Believers should strive for.

We shouldn't be looking to see who is upholding the laws the best or who is considered most righteous or most holy. Our stance shouldn't be that only OUR way of living out this walk is right. We shouldn't be excited to say 'I told you so.' We shouldln't be so arrogant as to believe that it is not OUR path that needs to adjust, rather that those less conservative than (or MORE conservative) simply need to step outside the norm. We shouldn't seek to elevate ourselves (separate ourselves) because we have more 'knowledge' than another, or any other standard by which we exalt ourselves over others of this family.

Instead, what we should strive for is truly to know God for ourselves. We should be looking to understand Him as our Lord, as our Master, as our Father, as our Friend, and as our Love. We should seek Him in such a way that anybody who looks at us knows there's something different about us. That there is something special. We ought to be so covered up in Him that whether we are covered head to toe with only our eyes showing or rockin' the hottest trendy looks (obviously in line with scripture), people see Christ. That whether we listen to jazz, country, gospel or any other genre, when people look upon us, they see something they long to know, be, and have.

Our lives should challenge other Believers to step up to the plate. We should be walking so closely in relationship that really the only things that should mirror eachother should be PRINCIPLES by which we live, NOT how a principled life manifests itself day-to-day.

In Muhala's journey, I see and feel this challenge. I am approaching with a healthy dose of uncertainty, understanding that as I begin to really sink my teeth into this particular practice I just may be convicted to adopt it in part or even in full. I go into this studying, knowing that I am opening a door to allow my own convictions to be changed - and that if they are, I will become a little more alien to this world.

And that's really what it's all about. Constantly growing and maturing. Constantly allowing the Lord to change you to be more foreign to this world and more at home in His. Forever being transformed.

If we did this, we'd have a whole lot less time to be critical of others because we'd be waaay too busy taking the planks out of our own eyes.

Just my thoughts.



No comments:

Post a Comment