Tuesday, April 5, 2011

On Loss

It would seem that I'm an expert on this subject, what with me have experienced God's love so deeply on this level and all...

Yeah. Not really.

But I have come to a couple of conclusions on the subject.

The first is this: you never get used to it. You never get used to losing or letting go of the things in your life that you have amassed. You never get used to the feeling of desolation that comes when you don't have your *own*... you just never get there. At least not in my estimation. And you never ever get used to losing people. Not friends, not family - no matter if you simply lose the relationship or if they leave for eternity. You never really adjust to all that comes with that loss.

The second conclusion is this one. There is almost no more effective way to get to know God, to really know where He stands on your list of priorites, or to understand and accept His Sovereignty. Loss is one of the things in this life that hurts the most. By its very nature, it is the sort of pain that forces you to look to be comforted outside yourself. It is the sort of pain that draws you to or pushes you away from God.

Loss is always a crossroads and a pivotal point in our lives. It's just all a matter of our perspective. And no matter what road we take, we always know that ultimately in the losing, we are not in control. We can fight, we can resist, we can argue, we can hold on. But when it is all said and done, it is always always always God's choice.

And no matter how we feel about the choice He's made, no one can deny that a God so powerful is one worthy to be worshiped. He proves through loss that He is God all by Himself and that there is no other god like Him.

I've been working my way thru some things and processing some other things and what I have finally wrapped my heart around is this: God is love. And He is perfection. If He chooses to take from me what I hold so close, then it means that He knows something I don't. He knows better than I do. And though I can be sure it will hurt to the depths of my soul, I can also be sure that He is the God I want to continue to serve. I can trust His Sovereignty and His Omniscience. I can know that He is God and He will be my Comforter, My friend, My Safety, and the Lover of my soul.

I know that I can rest in Him no matter what comes next. I want with all my heart to run TO Him instead of away from Him. I am willing to know God this way.

He has orchestrated my life with the utmost precision and perfection. He has been constantly allowing that knowledge to rest on me, I think in preparation for this next stretching. And that is what I choose to do. I choose to rest in that knowledge and serve Him in spite of my humanity.

Because He is my God.

Ro

No comments:

Post a Comment