Friday, February 11, 2011

My Military Men

So, this morning we found out that one of my uncles is going to be sent to Iraq late this fall.

And just before he came home on leave a few weeks ago, we found out that my OTHER uncle is being sent back to Kuwait for 13 months.

These two uncles are brothers - the only 2 brothers out of 4 siblings. My oldest uncle is in the reserves and has been to Kuwait once already in the last few years. My youngest uncle (who is actually younger than me) just went into the military a year ago. He has finished basic and all the job training and stuff and was just sent to Georgia. In fact, he has only been there for 5 days.

The oldest uncle will come to Texas in July and will be here for a month or so before he is deployed. The youngest will go to New York in July and will be there for 30 days. He will then return to Georgia (and maybe come home if he can - but I doubt it, since he JUST took two weeks leave) to get his affairs in order, before he is deployed in October or November.

My oldest uncle was in the service forever and he has pretty much always been away from home, so it isn't unusual for him to not be here - even now, because when he and his family moved back to the contiguous states from Hawaii, they moved to SC to be near his wife's mom. Nobody's thrilled about his deployment, but it isn't really all that different than the norm we've always had w/him.

Now, CJ on the other hand (not his name, but obviously for his privacy) has never been away from home - as in, no more than a few steps from my grandparents, and no more than a few minutes from the rest of us. The military is still new to us for him. He wanted it, he worked hard to accomplish it, and he really enjoys it. It has been very good for him. And we are all extremely proud of him.

But...

I dont want him in Iraq. None of us do really. I love both my uncles, but my youngest uncle and I grew up more as cousins than as Uncle/niece. When my mom told me about his deployment this morning, I felt some kinda way about that. A little sick. A little sad. A little... somethin... some kinda way.

Not thrilled about my Uncle-Uncle goin, but my Uncle-cousin... well, it's just different.

Really really different.

However, even with all that I feel, I am extremely proud of them both, especially CJ. The military was a big step for him and a pivotal point in his life. He's done well and I know he's gonna go far. Extremely far. And my Uncle-Uncle. What can I say? He's just phenomenal. An absolutely wonderful human.

They both love our country and our family. What more can we ask?!

I guess I'm gonna be a praying girl, until both our men are safe and sound, and home with us where they belong.

Thank you Uncle Jr. and CJ. We love you and we are so proud of you both. Hopefully we'll get to hug both your necks before you leave. And if we don't, you know we're with you in sprit (how cliche' but u know it's the truth) =)

Hugs & Kisses.
We love ya'll!

(and um, can both u jokas get Facebook so we can communicate?! Thanks!)

Rosheeda

Lord,
Protect our fellas. Please bring them home safe and sound, no worse for the wear, and changed profoundly - for Your Glory and their good. Show us how to pray and help us to trust You in this. Put a protective loving arm around my grandparents - especially my grandmother. Allow them to rest in You and to know that You will take care of Your sons. Build thier relationships with you and use them each for Your Glory. May they grow where they are planted.

In Jesus' Name, I ask these things.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment